Sunday, November 6, 2016

Planning for Triathlons in 2017!

It's been two weeks since Miami Ironman 70.3 and two weeks since I did any sort of formal triathlon training. Yes, I've hopped in the pool a few times for some easy swims and done some short runs. I've tried to be a bit more lazy than usual...turning on Netflix when I would have normally tried to fit work or training in. I've cleaned the entire house, learned how to cook some new things and got caught up on life. It's been a nice change of pace. However, I know it's time to start things back up again as I'm starting to feel anxious and overly rested!!!

So, what are my plans for the upcoming season? I get to compete as a Pro again, so that's exciting. The trick is to be able to continue to train like one, while working full time! I do like to plan, but I also know that even the best laid plans can get derailed more often than not. So, I'm going to progress through the off season one step at a time. Adam and I are trying a more collaborative approach to my training this year. As a result of my atypical work schedule (I don't work 9-5pm), my schedule is different each day and each week. This is near impossible for a coach to work with! Thus, to avoid potential arguments, we decided that I would plan my training and Adam would oversee it to ensure I'm not over or under-doing it. One of the most important roles of a coach, anyway. This was our approach to Miami, and, although I didn't hold the numbers that I wanted (tough to say whether this was due to being improperly trained or the bronchitis) we are implementing it for next season.



November and December training involves a component of injury prevention (glute, core and balance exercises) daily provided by Bill Wells at Urban Athlete, cycling specific weight training, proper cycling mechanics using the WattsUp program, strength based swimming (paddles and VASA trainer) and strength (hills) and consistency on the run.

Total time for:

Work = 40-45 hours
Training = 12-14 hours
Sleep = 7 to 8 hours per night

My *tentative* race schedule is as follows:

June 11, 2017 - Eagleman Ironman 70.3
June 25, 2017 - Mont Tremblant Ironman 70.3
July & early Aug - Multisport Canada Races
Aug 20, 2017 - Ironman Mont Tremblant
Sept 17, 2017 - Barrelman Half Triathlon
***Rest of season TBD***

No comments:

Post a Comment