Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Where things are at!

Although I thought I was done racing after Barrelman, there was still part of me that wanted to use some of my re-gained fitness to tackle another race. Early in the year I had my sights set on Arizona Ironman, but there just hasn't been the time. Finishing school in May, studying for and writing my board writing exams in June, battling injuries in July, dealing with some ongoing legal issues, starting to work full time in August and helping to grow WattsUp has kept me much to stressed and busy to consider training for an Ironman! Each person only has a limit to how much stress they can handle, and that includes both life stress and training less. Basically, if life stress goes up, the training stress has to go down or you risk getting injured or overtrained. I have been walking a fine line here already. So, with Ironman off the table until next year (hopefully!) I decided to race Miami Ironman 70.3!



At this time of year it is incredibly hard to keep motivated. Many fellow competitors are finished for the season and enjoying some much needed rest. The same training feels monotonous and boring. I knew this would be the case and decided to mix up my training a little bit. Coupled with the need to avoid injury, I've done a lot of broken long runs and bikes. Sets like 3 to 4 times through a 10' bike - 15' run. That's a 1hr ride and 12km run, but way more fun! Also, I am running every other day, but include a couple of double run days...heard that is how Brett Sutton trained Nicola Spirig. For the swimming, I am doing a 4km swim once a week with KLSC and then 3-4 short swims. 2 of them with a 2km race pace or faster set (usually done after being motivated by my TTC swimmers). I have one race simulation day tomorrow that includes a 55km ride then 5.5km run, then 55km ride and an 11km run. Then I will take a really easy taper until race day. These new workouts have kept the training enjoyable.

What are my race predictions? My goal for this race is to hold the same power as Barrelman and to have a bit of a better run so that I can finish within 12% of the winner. Those are the requirements to race as a Pro next year. I have learned the hard way that having too lofty a goal only leads to injury. You can't put a timeline on your long term goals. The athletes that take baby steps toward success are the ones who have longevity in their sport. Despite what the movies and the media tell us, success takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment