Sunday, October 7, 2012

Some last minute adjustments!

As most people know, an athlete does not become successful on their own. Rather, they have a huge support team that works with them to help them achieve success. In my case, this support team includes my husband, Rikki (first and foremost), my parents, sisters, brothers, friends, my chiropractor, RMTs, sponsors and coaching team. It's amazing how everyone is always trying to help me :)

My coaching team (my coach and bike fitter, Scott Judges) are a perfect example of this. Recently, they both took time out of their busy schedules to sit down and discuss how to improve my cycling. While not many changes can be made at this point in the season, they did think of one. They made a little adjustment on my bike position to get me lower on the front end (...and raised my seat post back up to where it was at the start of the season - apparently seatposts tend to slip during the season, just like mine did!).

Anyway, the result..

BEFORE:



AFTER:



1. A position that is more aerodynamic (I'm no physicist, but being lower on the front end decreases my frontal surface area and this results in way less air resistance and I go faster).

2. A more powerful position (My back is less "hunched over" which allows me to engage the glutes, hamstrings and quads much better! ...think of the difference between doing a squat with a rounded back versus a straight back...you get way more power with a straight back)

3. More comfort (not sure how, but for some reason I am way more comfortable in this position!!!)

Thank-you to Scott and Adam!!

No comments:

Post a Comment